DEW Engineering and Development is a multi-divisional technology company that designs and manufactures innovative products for global clients. DEW provides a wide range of services and products to our military and commercial customers including: design, test and evaluation; prototyping and development; and manufacturing. DEW offers opportunities for growth, an attractive salary, a comprehensive benefit package and an environment that promotes personal and professional success. We currently have an opening for the following position:
Materials Manager - Miramichi, NB
The Material Manager reports directly to the Production Manager
The Material Manager’s primary function is to manage and oversee all Purchasing, Shipping/ Receiving and Warehouse operations.
Responsibilities & Duties:
(Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following)
- Oversee all purchasing, shipping, receiving and warehouse activities ensuring compliance with corporate material handling strategies, policies, processes and contracts.
- Ensure that critical material, components, equipment and services are procured at the best value for the company.
- Create and implement material management procedures and ensure they are adhered to.
- Ensure safe and proper off loading and on loading procedures are followed and maintained in shipping and receiving.
- Ensure hazardous goods and shelf-life items are properly labelled and stored.
- Ensure materials to be shipped are properly packaged and all contract specifications are followed.
- Organize shipping through outside agents.
- Ensure proper permits are acquired prior to shipping, particularly for oversized loads and dangerous goods.
- Ensure all company procedures have been followed before products leave the premises.
- Ensure materials are issued to the production department, as necessary.
- Remove material deficiencies and surpluses.
- Maintain and update material management system in enterprise software.
- Provide information to Project Managers and Purchasing departments as required.
- Work with Quality Assurance department to ensure product is received and shipped as required.
- Maintain contacts with Federal Government and Private industry clients as required.
- Liaise with Brokers and US/Canada Customs agencies as required.
- Meet with Canada Customs and Canada Revenue Agency auditors as required and ensure that all their concerns and question are answered.
- Attend departmental meetings as required.
- Ensure inventory levels are accurate
- Dispose of excess material through vendor resale or scrap.
- Ensure that excess materials are disposed of in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensure purchasing is aware of inventory levels.
- Provide technical, military, material management and Visual Manufacturing advice to staff as required.
- Supervise and act as a mentor to employees.
- Ensure all employees comply with Health and Safety regulations and policies.
- Ensure that all sections are running at full capacity and allocate resources as needed.
- Respond to employee inquiries, issues and concerns and resolve accordingly.
- Ensure all new employees are properly trained.
- Work with Human Resources to identify development and training requirements.
- Conduct annual performance evaluations for employees.
- Participate in the selection of new employees.
- Work in conjunction with the Safety/Maintenance Manager to ensure the yard is properly maintained and to assist with facility and yard upgrades
- Ensure proper storage of DND vehicles
- Ensure protective equipment and uniforms are available to production staff as required
- Work well within a team environment.
- Maintain open communication with all team members.
- Adhere to all environmental, health and safety regulations and follow the environmental and quality management systems.
- Travel as required.
- Five years supervisory and warehouse experience
- Experience working in a large-scale manufacturing environment
- Material management expertise
- Experience with MS Office and inventory management software
Education/ Professional Certification:
- Post-secondary education in a related field
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Strong communication skills
- Able to lead and motivate a team
- Strong task-management and scheduling capabilities
- Able to work with minimal supervision
- Conflict management
- Negotiating skills
If your background is a match and you are interested in pursuing this challenging career opportunity, please forward your resume in confidence with "Materials Manager" in the subject line to "firstname.lastname@example.org"
While we thank all those who apply, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
DEW is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.